Muskerry’s Golfing History

Muskerry’s 13th green. Pic: Niall O’Shea

Golf in Muskerry traces back to the late 1880’s but it wasn’t until 1907 that the current club was founded.  After just six weeks of work, the course designed and built by professional John McNamara was opened for play in May 1907.  Like many other clubs, proximity to a railway line was an essential prerequisite and the Coachford stop on the Muskerry tram line was close to the current 18th green.  The membership in Muskerry grew quickly and it was the quality of the course that attracted the growing membership.  The original course had five holes situated around the present front nine with another four holes across the road.  In fact anyone passing the entrance to Muskerry can still Continue reading

Douglas Golfing History

For over 110 years, Douglas Golf Club has looked over the city, ideally positioned on its elevates site on Maryborough Hill.  The original course was designed by golf legend Harry Vardon, a six time winner of the British Open.  Vardon designed the original eighteen hole layout after walking the land which was leased from Patrick McAuliffe.   The groundsmen worked with Tramore’s John McNamara who oversaw the build, and the first nine holes opened in December 1909.  The second nine opened a few months later and the first competition on the new course was held in April.  The course was an overnight success, drawing in a large membership from the Continue reading